If you’re a computer enthusiast, you’ll understand the importance of having a reliable and high-quality keyboard. The keyboard is the primary tool you use to interact with your computer, and it can make a huge difference in your overall computing experience. That’s why it’s important to invest in a good keyboard that meets your needs and preferences.
One keyboard that has gained a lot of popularity in recent years is the Royal Kludge RK61. It’s a compact and affordable keyboard that offers a lot of features, including Bluetooth connectivity and RGB backlighting. However, if you want to take your RK61 to the next level and turn it into a premium keyboard, there are several upgrades you can make.
In this article, we’ll take a look at how you can easily upgrade your Royal Kludge RK61 to a premium keyboard. We’ll cover everything from keycaps to switches and stabilizers, so you can get the most out of your keyboard and take your typing and gaming experience to the next level.
This is How I Easily Upgraded Royal Kludge RK61 to A Premium Keyboard:
Royal Kludge RK61
The Royal Kludge RK61 is a compact mechanical keyboard that has gained popularity among gaming enthusiasts and typists due to its small size and wireless connectivity. It features 61 keys, including arrow keys and function keys, all of which are programmable to suit individual preferences.
The keyboard comes in a variety of colors and key switches, such as Blue, Red, and Brown switches, which provide tactile feedback and satisfying clicking sound while typing. The RK61 also features Bluetooth connectivity, allowing users to connect up to three devices simultaneously and switch between them easily.
Additionally, the keyboard has a long battery life of up to 10 hours with RGB lighting and up to 360 hours without lighting. The RK61 also has a durable build quality, with an aluminum case and PBT keycaps, ensuring long-term use and resistance to wear and tear.
Overall, the Royal Kludge RK61 is a versatile and reliable mechanical keyboard that offers great value for its price.
Benefits of Upgrade RK61 Keyboard
Upgrading your RK61 keyboard has several benefits, including:
- Improved performance: An upgraded RK61 keyboard will have better performance, faster response times, and improved overall functionality. This means you can type or play games more efficiently and comfortably.
- Increased durability: Upgraded RK61 keyboards are designed to be more durable and long-lasting. This means you won’t have to worry about your keyboard breaking down or wearing out easily.
- Better ergonomics: With an upgraded RK61 keyboard, you can enjoy improved ergonomics, which can help reduce the risk of wrist strain or other related injuries. This means you can type or play games for longer periods without discomfort.
- Improved aesthetics: An upgraded RK61 keyboard can also improve the overall aesthetics of your setup. With customizable lighting options and sleek designs, you can create a keyboard that not only performs well but also looks great.
How I Easily Upgraded Royal Kludge RK61 to A Premium Keyboard
Following are some of the things I did to upgrade My Royal Kludge RK61:
- Lube The RK61 Switches
- Mod And Lube RK61 Stabilizers
- Installing The Foam into the RK61 Keyboard Case
- Replacing The Keycaps
Equipment Required to Upgrade The Royal Kludge RK61
Some of the tools and equipment I used to upgrade the Royal Kludge RK61 keyboard mechanical:
- Royal Kludge 61(White): You can buy it on Amazon.
- Coral Sea Keycaps: You can buy them on Amazon.
- Soldering Iron Tool Set: You can buy it on Amazon.
- Krytox 205g0 (Switch Lube): You can buy it on Amazon.
- Super Lube (Stabs Lube): You can buy it on Amazon.
Upgrade Royal Kludge RK61 : Step By Step
In modifying the RK61 keyboard you need to do several things on all the keyboard components. Here’s what you need to do to modify the RK61 keyboard to give you a more great typing experience:
1. Disassemble Royal Kludge RK61
In order to carry out the desired modification to the Disassemble Royal Kludge RK61 mechanical keyboard, it will be necessary to disassemble all of its individual components. This will require a series of steps to be followed in order to successfully take apart the keyboard and access the relevant parts.
- Firstly, all of the keycaps must be removed from the keyboard. This is an important initial step, as it will allow for better access to the keyboard’s internal components and ensure that the modification can be carried out with maximum efficiency.
- Once the keycaps have been removed, the next step is to open the RK61 keyboard case. This can typically be achieved by unscrewing the various screws that hold the case together, although the exact process may vary depending on the specific model and design of the keyboard.
- After the keyboard case has been successfully opened, the next step is to open the PCB connector with the battery. This is typically located on the underside of the keyboard, and will require some care and precision in order to be opened safely and without causing any damage to the keyboard or its components.
Overall, while the process of disassembling the Disassemble Royal Kludge RK61 mechanical keyboard may seem daunting at first, following these steps carefully and methodically will allow for a successful modification to be carried out, resulting in a fully customized and optimized keyboard experience.
Desoldering All Switches From Mechanical Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61
In order to effectively desolder the switch of the RK61 PCB, you will need to gather a few essential tools, namely a soldering iron and a solder sucker. With these tools at your disposal, you can proceed to follow a set of specific steps that will ensure the successful removal of the switches.
- To begin, it is important to heat the lead attached to the switch pin and PCB using the soldering iron. Once the lead has been heated to a sufficient degree, you can then proceed to melt the tin that is holding the switch in place. This is a crucial step that requires precision and care, as too much heat or force applied to the switch can potentially damage it.
- Once you have melted the tin holding the switch in place, you will need to immediately use the solder sucker to extract the melted tin from the area. This process is vital in ensuring that the switch is effectively desoldered from the PCB, as any leftover tin can cause issues when attempting to install a new switch.
It is important to repeat these steps for all 61 RK61 switches, as this is a necessary preparatory step before moving on to the next stage of the process, which involves lubricating the switches. By taking the time to properly desolder each switch, you can ensure that your RK61 PCB is ready for the next steps of the process, and that you will be able to achieve optimal results when modifying or repairing your keyboard.
Remove all the switches from PCB using the switch puller or your hands.
Once you have completed the task of desoldering all the switches, the next step in the process is to proceed with removing the switches from the printed circuit board (PCB). This can be accomplished in one of two ways – either by making use of a switch puller, or by manually pulling each switch from the board by hand.
- When using a switch puller, it is important to exercise caution to avoid damaging the PCB or the switches themselves. The switch puller should be positioned carefully around each switch and gently squeezed to ensure that it has a firm grip. Once you are confident that the switch is secure, you can then apply a slight amount of pressure to remove it from the board.
- Alternatively, if you opt to remove the switches by hand, it is important to exercise care to avoid causing any damage to the PCB or the switches. This may involve using your fingers or a small tool to gently pry each switch away from the board until it becomes loose enough to remove completely.
Regardless of the method that you choose to use, it is important to take your time and be patient throughout the process, to avoid any mishaps or accidents. By being careful and precise, you can ensure that the switches are removed safely and effectively from the PCB, without causing any damage to the board itself or the other components surrounding the switches.
Remove All Stabilizers attached to the Keyboard Plate
To make the task of modifying and lubricating the stabilizers on the keyboard plate more manageable, it is recommended that all stabilizers attached to the keyboard plate be removed. This will allow for greater access to the stabilizers and make it easier to perform any necessary maintenance or upgrades.
By removing the stabilizers, one can also ensure that they are properly cleaned and lubricated, which can improve the overall performance and longevity of the keyboard. Taking the time to remove and properly maintain the stabilizers can help to prevent any potential issues or malfunctions down the line, ensuring that the keyboard remains in optimal working condition.
2. Lube The RK61 Switches
Lubricating the mechanical keyboard switches can be a laborious process that requires a considerable amount of time and attention to detail. For instance, if you have an RK61 keyboard, you’ll need to set aside a significant chunk of your day, approximately 2-3 hours, to properly lubricate all 61 of its switches.
To begin, you will need a switch opener to access all the switch components. Once you have opened the switch, you can begin lubricating each of its individual parts, including the Bottom Housing, Spring, Stem, and the Top Housing switch. Applying the lubricant to these components can help to reduce friction, minimize noise, and improve the overall typing experience.
After you have lubricated all the individual parts, it’s time to reassemble the switch by replacing all the components in the correct order. This can be a bit fiddly, but it’s crucial to get it right to ensure that the switch operates correctly.
Finally, it’s time to repeat the above three steps for all 61 switches on your keyboard. This can be a time-consuming process, but the end result will be a smoother, quieter, and more satisfying typing experience. With some patience and attention to detail, you can achieve the perfect lubrication of your keyboard switches.
3. Mod And Lube RK61 Stabilizers
In order to mitigate the occurrence of unwanted vibrations and to dampen the sound produced by the keys when pressed, it is necessary to implement certain modifications to the RK61 keyboard stabilizer, as well as to apply a suitable lubricant to the relevant components. The process of carrying out these modifications and applying the lubricant can be achieved by following a specific set of steps.
These steps include identifying the key stabilizer components that require attention, carefully removing them from the keyboard, applying the lubricant evenly and thoroughly, and then reattaching the components in a precise and secure manner. By carefully following these steps, the keyboard’s stabilizers can be effectively modified and the sound produced by the keys can be significantly reduced, resulting in a more comfortable and less distracting typing experience.
If you are confused about how to modify the stabilizer on a mechanical keyboard, please read our article on How to Mod Stabilizers: Band-Aid, Clip, and Lube: Step By Step
Disassemble all stabilizer components
To open all the components of the stabilizer, you will need to remove the hook that is connecting the iron rod and the iron rod housing. It is important to repeat this process for all stabilizers that are present.
By taking this step, you will be able to fully access all of the parts of the stabilizer and make any necessary repairs or adjustments. Ensuring that all stabilizers are properly opened will also help to prevent any potential malfunctions or accidents that may occur due to a lack of maintenance or neglect. Therefore, it is essential to follow these instructions carefully to ensure that the stabilizers are functioning correctly and to promote the longevity of the equipment.
Clip The Plastic Rectangle on the stabilizer housing
Within each stabilizer housing, you will discover two rectangular components that necessitate clipping. The purpose of this action is to eliminate any instances of wobbling or vibration that may occur when the stabilizer button is pressed. Out of all the stabilizer keys, it is crucial to clip the stabilizer on the spacebar, as it tends to vibrate more frequently when pressed. In the event that you are experiencing confusion or uncertainty regarding the clipping process, we highly recommend taking a moment to read through our informative article on the topic of modifying stabilizers.
Lube The Stabilizer
In order to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the stabilizer housing, it is imperative to take proper care and maintenance measures. One such measure is the application of lubrication, which helps to reduce friction and promote smoother operation of the housing. However, it is important to note that not all parts of the housing require lubrication, as this could potentially cause damage or even hinder performance.
In the specific case of the iron rod that enters the stabilizer housing, it is recommended to use a high-quality lubricant such as Super Lube. By applying this lubricant to the iron rod, friction between the rod and the plastic housing is greatly reduced. This can have a significant impact on the overall performance and smoothness of the stabilizer housing, allowing it to function at its optimal capacity.
It is worth emphasizing that proper lubrication techniques and materials are essential for the proper functioning of the stabilizer housing. Over-lubrication, under-lubrication, or the use of low-quality lubricants can have adverse effects on the performance and longevity of the housing. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the specific lubrication needs of each component and to use the appropriate materials and techniques to ensure optimal performance and longevity.
4. Reinstall The RK61 Stabilizers and Switches
Completing this task is quite straightforward and won’t require much time or effort. The first step is to insert the stabilizer into the plate, which is a relatively simple process that can be done with ease. After that, the next step is to reattach the keyboard switch to the printed circuit board (PCB), which is equally straightforward and can be done in just a few quick and simple steps. Once both of these steps have been completed, the keyboard will be ready to use and should function without any issues. With these simple instructions, anyone can successfully install a stabilizer and reattach the keyboard switch, even if they have little to no experience with electronics.
5. Solder The Switches Into PCB
To successfully assemble your PCB, it is essential to solder all the switches onto it. Although this task may not be a walk in the park, with the right approach and technique, you can make it a smooth process. To improve your soldering skills and ensure that you are proficient in attaching the switches to the PCB, watching a tutorial video can be highly beneficial. By observing the step-by-step instructions and visual demonstrations in the video, you can gain valuable insights into the best practices for soldering switches onto a PCB. As you become more skilled in this technique, you can achieve greater precision and efficiency in your assembly work, leading to a more professional and reliable end product.
6. Installing the foam into the RK61 keyboard case
By incorporating foam into the keyboard casing, the primary objective is to dampen the sound produced while typing and minimize any unpleasant reverberations that may be generated from the keyboard. This process helps to create a more subdued and refined typing experience, allowing users to type without disturbing others around them. With the addition of foam, the keyboard’s sound profile transforms, producing a deeper, more resonant sound that is pleasing to the ear.
However, it is crucial to ensure that the foam is appropriately installed, with an opening left for the screw on the foam to make it simpler to install the PCB and ensure that the keyboard’s functionality is not compromised. So, taking proper precautions while installing the foam will provide a more harmonious and enjoyable typing experience while preserving the keyboard’s overall functionality.
7. Put all components back into the Keyboard Case
It is crucial to double-check that you have properly connected the battery cable to the RK61 PCB before moving on to the next step in the keyboard assembly process. This is a relatively straightforward task, which involves simply installing the PCB into the keyboard case. By taking the time to ensure that the battery cable is securely connected, you can avoid potential issues down the line and ensure that your keyboard operates smoothly and reliably. So, it is highly recommended to give this step your utmost attention and care to ensure a seamless keyboard assembly process.
8. Replacing Keycaps
By upgrading the keycaps on your keyboard, you can significantly improve the sound and feel of your typing experience. One way to achieve this is by using keycaps made from a higher quality plastic material, which can effectively muffle the sound of keystrokes. In particular, opting for a thicker keycap set can help to produce a much quieter sound, leading to a more pleasant and enjoyable typing experience overall.
When it comes to selecting the right keycaps for your keyboard, it’s important to choose a set that is made from top-quality materials and designed with user comfort in mind. For example, the Coral Sea Keycaps set is a great option for those seeking a high-quality PBT plastic material with a textured surface that is comfortable to use for extended periods of time. Additionally, the set boasts an OEM profile, making it ideal for both typing and gaming alike.
For those who own a Royal Kludge mechanical keyboard, this article also provides recommendations for keycap sets that are specifically designed to work well with this popular brand. So whether you’re looking to enhance the sound, feel, or overall performance of your keyboard, upgrading your keycaps is a great place to start.
Recommended Upgrades for RK61 Keyboard
here are some commonly suggested upgrades for RK61 Keyboard:
- Keycaps – Upgrading the keycaps to higher-quality ones can significantly enhance the look and feel of your keyboard. Some popular options are PBT keycaps, Double-Shot keycaps, or custom keycaps.
- Switches – Swapping out the stock switches for higher-end mechanical switches can improve the typing experience. Cherry MX switches are a popular choice, but there are also many other options to consider, such as Kailh Box switches, Gateron switches, and more.
- Stabilizers – The stabilizers on the RK61 keyboard can be a bit rattly and inconsistent. Upgrading them with better-quality stabilizers or modding them can reduce the rattle and improve the overall feel of the keyboard.
- Case – Changing the case of the keyboard can enhance its aesthetic appeal and improve the typing experience. A metal case or wooden case can add a premium feel to the keyboard.
- Cable – Upgrading the cable can add a touch of customization to the keyboard. A coiled cable or a paracord cable can make the keyboard look more unique and stylish.
Note that these upgrades are not necessary, and the RK61 keyboard performs well even without any modifications. However, these upgrades can make the keyboard feel more premium and personalized to your liking.
Maintenance and Care Tips for RK61 Keyboard
Here are some maintenance and care tips for RK61 Keyboard:
- Regular Cleaning: Regularly clean the keyboard using a soft-bristled brush or a microfiber cloth to remove dust and debris that can accumulate over time. Avoid using harsh chemicals or water, as it can damage the keyboard.
- Avoid Spills: Keep your keyboard away from liquids as spills can cause irreparable damage to the electronics inside. If a spill does occur, immediately unplug the keyboard and gently clean the affected area with a damp cloth.
- Store Properly: When not in use, store your keyboard in a dry, cool place to prevent damage from moisture and extreme temperatures.
- Avoid Physical Damage: Do not drop or hit the keyboard as it can cause significant damage to the internal components.
- Use a Protective Cover: Consider using a keyboard cover to protect it from dust, spills, and scratches.
- Update Drivers: Keep your keyboard’s software up to date by regularly checking for driver updates from the manufacturer’s website.
- Use as Intended: Use the keyboard for its intended purpose, avoiding any modifications or alterations that may cause damage.
By following these tips, you can extend the lifespan of your RK61 Keyboard and ensure its optimal performance for years to come.
In conclusion, upgrading the Royal Kludge RK61 to a premium keyboard was a simple process that anyone can do. By lubing the switches, modding and lubing the stabilizers, installing foam into the keyboard case, and replacing keycaps, you can transform your keyboard into a high-quality and satisfying typing experience. The added benefits of reduced noise, smoother key presses, and a more ergonomic typing angle make this upgrade worth the time and effort. Whether you are a gamer, a writer, or just someone who spends a lot of time typing, upgrading your RK61 will greatly enhance your overall experience and make it feel like a premium keyboard.
What is the Royal Kludge RK61 keyboard?
The Royal Kludge RK61 keyboard is a compact mechanical keyboard that is highly customizable and ideal for gaming and productivity.
What was the cost of the upgrades made to the Royal Kludge RK61?
To upgrade this Rk61, I spent about $60
What were the specific upgrades that the author made to their Royal Kludge RK61?
I upgraded their Royal Kludge RK61 by lubing the switches and stabilizers, installing foam in the keyboard case, and replacing the keycaps.
Did the author face any challenges during the upgrade process?
Yes, the author faced challenges during the upgrade process, specifically with desoldering the switches.
Did the author need any specialized tools or equipment to complete the upgrades?
Yes, the author needed specialized tools including soldering tools, keycap puller, switches puller, and screwdriver to complete the upgrades.
How long did it take the author to complete the upgrades to their Royal Kludge RK61?
Less than 2 hours
What was the overall improvement in the performance of the Royal Kludge RK61 after the upgrades?
The typing experience is 200% better
Would the author recommend others to upgrade their Royal Kludge RK61?
Yes, the author would recommend upgrading the Royal Kludge RK61 by replacing the switches.
What other keyboard models are compatible with the upgrades made to the Royal Kludge RK61?
All mechanical keyboard models are compatible with modifications made to the Royal Kludge RK61.