Last Updated on November 5, 2023
Mechanical keyboard enthusiasts understand the importance of a stable and precise typing experience. Achieving this requires attention to every detail, and one crucial component is the stabilizer. A quality PCB mount screw-in stabilizer can make a world of difference, and in this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the best options available in the market for you to elevate your mechanical keyboard game. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or just getting started, you’ll find the perfect stabilizer to suit your needs.
|– Patent design – Upgraded features – Pre-clipped stems – Premium Polymer Nylon – Stainless Steel Wires
|Everglide V2 Transparent Gold Plated
|– Gold-plated wires – Improved pop-out resistance – Polymer construction – Pre-clipped
|– New non-stripping wire design – Translucent smokey housings – Golden wires – Pre-clipped insert method
|Zeal™ Transparent Gold Plated V2
|– Vintage “pre-clipped” style insert – Custom-designed nut – Elegant gold-plated finish – Eliminates rattle
|– V1 Smokey 60/87 Keyboard Set – PCB mount screw-in design – Premium materials – Pre-clipped
|– High-quality German manufacturing – Adheres to Cherry specifications – Smooth keypresses – Minimal key wobble
|– Smokey Grey color – Translucent housings – Golden wires – Pre-clipped insert method – Durable materials
|– Translucent case – Gold-plated balance bar and screws – Noise mitigation – Smooth and comfortable keypress
|Sumgsn Gold Plated
|– Stylish golden design – Noise reduction – Alloy material wires – Compatibility with various layouts
|EQUALZ C3 x Holy Panda V3
|– Designed for TKL keyboards – PCB-mounted design – Gold wires – SoulMate stab films – Easy installation
The DUROCK V2 PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are an excellent choice for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts seeking stability and precision in their typing experience. These stabilizers are designed with a patent design and upgraded features to ensure that wire drop out is completely avoided, enhancing the reliability of your keyboard. The V2 Stabilizers come with pre-clipped stems/sliders, eliminating the need for manual clipping and making the setup process fast and easy.
Constructed with high-quality materials, including Premium Polymer Nylon and Stainless Steel Wires sourced from Korea, these stabilizers are built to last. The solid coating on the hardware prevents oxidation, ensuring long-term durability. The DUROCK V2 Stabilizers are compatible with 1.6mm PCB keyboards and come with additional components like washers and the Soulmate Tuning Kit, making them adaptable to most PCBs ranging from 1.2mm to 1.6mm.
This kit includes both 6.25u and 7u spacebar wires, making it a comprehensive choice for those who prioritize keyboard stability and performance. At a price of $25.99, these stabilizers offer a cost-effective solution for keyboard enthusiasts looking to upgrade their typing experience.
The Everglide V2 Transparent Gold-Plated PCB Screw-in Stabilizers are a top choice for custom mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. These stabilizers are designed to work seamlessly with MX-compatible PCBs, ensuring a secure and smooth keypress experience. They come with updated housings that offer improved pop-out resistance, addressing a common issue with stabilizers.
One standout feature is the inclusion of gold-plated wires, which not only enhance the aesthetics of your keyboard but also provide exceptional durability and conductivity. These stabilizers also feature polymer construction and come pre-clipped, making installation easier for users. If you’re looking to create a stable and satisfying typing experience on your custom keyboard, the Everglide V2 Transparent Gold-Plated PCB Screw-in Stabilizers are a reliable choice, offering both functional benefits and a modern aesthetic.
The ZugGear V2 PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are a premium choice for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts seeking enhanced stability and a touch of elegance. These stabilizers are designed to fit MX-compatible PCBs and feature a new non-stripping wire design, ensuring durability and reliability. One standout feature is the V2 outer casing wire-holding clasp, which prevents wire stripping, setting them apart from traditional Cherry PCB mount stabilizers.
The stabilizers also come with translucent smokey housings and golden wires, adding a touch of sophistication to your keyboard. The use of polymer nylon for the outer casing results in higher hardness, while the gold-plated stainless steel wires and screws are resistant to oxidation. Additionally, these stabilizers feature a pre-clipped insert method, eliminating the need to manually clip the feet. With compatibility for both 60% and 80% keyboard sets, including washers and 6.25u and 7u wires, the ZugGear V2 PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are a fantastic choice for those looking to elevate their typing experience with a reliable and visually appealing stabilizer solution.
The Zeal™ Transparent Gold Plated Screw-in Stabilizers V2 are regarded as the best PCB mount screw-in stabilizers available, setting a high standard in the mechanical keyboard community. These stabilizers come in various configurations, such as 4x 2u and 1x 6.25u, offering versatility for different keyboard layouts. What sets them apart is their impeccable design, featuring a vintage “pre-clipped” style insert, eliminating the need for clipping the feet.
Moreover, the custom-designed nut on the outer casing ensures the threads won’t strip, enhancing durability. A standout feature of these stabilizers is their elegant gold plated finish on the wires, screws, and nuts, adding a touch of sophistication to your keyboard. Zeal’s commitment to quality is evident, as they warn against similar-looking clone stabilizers in the market, highlighting the unique design and stringent quality control of their in-house stabilizers. The result is a product that eliminates rattle and provides a smooth and reliable typing experience, making the Zeal™ Transparent Gold Plated Screw-in Stabilizers V2 a top choice for keyboard enthusiasts.
The DUROCK V1 PCB Screw-in Stabilizers are an excellent choice for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts looking to enhance their typing experience. These stabilizers come in a set designed for 60% and 87-key keyboards, with a unique V1 Smokey 60/87 Keyboard Set color option, providing a modern and elegant look.
What sets these stabilizers apart is their high-quality construction. They feature a PCB mount screw-in design, ensuring a secure fit that minimizes any unwanted rattle during typing. The V1 Stabs Stem/Sliders come pre-clipped, saving you the hassle of manual clipping for a quick and easy setup. DUROCK uses premium polymer nylon housings and stainless steel wires with real gold coating, sourced from Korea, giving your keyboard a touch of luxury and a golden edge.
These stabilizers are compatible with PCBs that support “screw-in” or “PCB mount” stabilizers and include both 6.25u and 7u spacebar wires, making them versatile and convenient for various keyboard configurations. Overall, the DUROCK V1 PCB Screw-in Stabilizers offer a combination of durability, performance, and aesthetics, making them a great choice for keyboard enthusiasts seeking an upgraded typing experience.
The GMK Screw-in Stabilizers are top-tier PCB mount stabilizers that cater to both 60% and TKL keyboard layouts. Manufactured by GMK in Germany, these stabilizers adhere to the original Cherry specifications, ensuring a high level of quality and performance. The set includes 4x 2u stabilizers and 1x 6.25u stabilizer, each accompanied by the necessary screws for installation.
These stabilizers are specifically designed for Cherry MX compatible keycaps, making them a seamless choice for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts who prioritize smooth keypresses and minimal key wobble. The GMK Screw-in Stabilizers are a reliable choice for enhancing the typing experience and stabilizing your mechanical keyboard’s keys, meeting the demands of both seasoned and novice keyboard enthusiasts.
The VELOCIFIRE PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are an excellent choice for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. This stabilizer set comes in a stylish Smokey Grey color and is designed for compatibility with MX-compatible PCB boards. It includes a 7U wire, a 6.25U stabilizer, four 2U stabilizers, ten washers, and ten gold-plated screws, making it a comprehensive package for keyboard stabilizers.
What sets these stabilizers apart is their translucent Smokey housings and golden wires, giving your keyboard a unique and premium look, especially when paired with LED-backlit keyboards. The pre-clipped insert method makes installation hassle-free, eliminating the need to clip the stabilizer feet. Additionally, the stabilizers feature a durable polymer nylon PA outer casing, providing higher hardness, and the gold-plated stainless steel wires and screws offer excellent oxidation resistance. Whether you have a 60% or 80% keyboard, the VELOCIFIRE PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are a convenient and visually appealing choice for enhancing your mechanical keyboard experience.
The YIMAGUJRX RUNJRX PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are a great choice for custom mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. These stabilizers are designed to enhance the appearance and functionality of your keyboard with their translucent case, gold-plated balance bar, and screws. The translucent case not only adds to the aesthetics of your keyboard but also provides durability and oxidation resistance.
Additionally, the package includes a screwdriver and high-density eva custom foam for noise mitigation, making installation and customization easy for users. With a smooth and comfortable keypress experience, these stabilizers offer a premium hand feel and ensure that keycaps don’t get stuck. Whether you’re building or upgrading your mechanical keyboard, the YIMAGUJRX RUNJRX PCB Mount Screw-in Stabilizers are a solid choice, delivering both form and function for a better typing experience.
Please note that these stabilizers are screw-in, so they are specifically designed for custom keyboard PCBs. If you’re looking to enhance your keyboard’s performance and appearance, these stabilizers are a valuable addition to consider.
The Sumgsn Screw-in Stabilizers offer an excellent option for mechanical keyboard enthusiasts looking to improve typing comfort and reduce noise. These stabilizers are compatible with MX-compatible PCBs and come in a stylish golden color with a unique design that prevents thread peeling. The stainless steel wire is alloy material and gold-plated, ensuring high hardness and oxidation resistance for durability.
These stabilizers are suitable for a wide range of keyboard sizes, including 61, 64, 68, 84, and 87 keys, making them versatile for various mechanical keyboard layouts. The manufacturer emphasizes quality control, urging customers to check the product upon receipt to ensure completeness and contact them for replacements in case of any issues. Overall, the Sumgsn Screw-in Stabilizers are a cost-effective choice to enhance your keyboard experience, offering both functionality and aesthetics.
In addition to the Sumgsn stabilizers, there are other options available, such as the Black Stabilizers Set and Panda Stabilizers, each priced at $12.99. Additionally, the Transparent Stabilizers Set is another intriguing choice for those who prefer a see-through design. When selecting a stabilizer, consider the compatibility with your keyboard layout and the aesthetic appeal that matches your preferences.
The EQUALZ C3 x Holy Panda Screw-in Stabilizers V3 are a top choice for enthusiasts building their custom mechanical keyboards. These stabilizers are specifically designed for TKL (tenkeyless) keyboards and come with a set of 5 pairs of white housing, 5 pairs of white stems, 6 silver wires, 10 screws, 10 washers, and sound-dampening stickers. What sets them apart is their PCB-mounted design, which allows for secure and wobble-free stabilizing of larger keys like the spacebar, enter, backspace, and shift keys.
The inclusion of gold wires further enhances the stability and overall performance. The kit also includes SoulMate stab films for tuning the sound profile to your liking. These stabilizers offer a modern and reliable solution for DIY keyboard enthusiasts, ensuring that your larger keys remain steady and rattle-free, delivering an improved typing experience on your custom keyboard. With their easy installation and high-quality materials, the EQUALZ C3 x Holy Panda Screw-in Stabilizers V3 are a must-have for anyone looking to build a premium mechanical keyboard.
What Are Stabilizers on Mechanical Keyboards?
Stabilizers on mechanical keyboards are essential components that help maintain the stability and consistency of keypresses. These key components are primarily used for larger keys on the keyboard, such as the spacebar, enter key, shift key, and others, to prevent wobbling and ensure a uniform typing experience. Stabilizers work by eliminating excessive movement and noise when pressing these larger keys.
Here’s how stabilizers function and why they are important:
- Keycap Support: Stabilizers are responsible for supporting the keycap, especially the longer and wider keys. Without stabilizers, these larger keycaps tend to wobble or feel uneven during keypresses, which can be distracting and uncomfortable for typists.
- Reducing Noise: Stabilizers help reduce the noise generated when pressing keys. When a keycap is pressed off-center, it can produce a “rattling” sound. Stabilizers minimize this noise by ensuring that the keycap travels in a controlled and even manner.
- Preventing Keybinding: Without stabilizers, some keycaps may bind or get stuck, making it difficult to register keypresses. Stabilizers ensure smooth and consistent keypresses, preventing binding issues.
- Enhancing Typing Comfort: Stabilizers improve typing comfort, as they ensure that keypresses feel uniform across the keyboard. This consistency is particularly important for larger keys that are more prone to inconsistencies.
Stabilizers come in different types and designs, such as PCB mount, plate mount, and screw-in stabilizers, each with its own method of attachment to the keyboard. They also vary in terms of materials, with some featuring plastic parts, while others use metal components for added durability.
In summary, stabilizers are crucial components in mechanical keyboards that help maintain a stable and consistent typing experience, especially for larger keys. They reduce wobbling, noise, and keybinding issues, ensuring that each keypress feels uniform and comfortable. Keyboard enthusiasts often pay careful attention to the type and quality of stabilizers used in their keyboards to achieve an optimal typing experience.
Types of Stabilizers on Mechanical Keyboards
|These stabilizers are mounted directly to the keyboard plate.
|Simple installation, relatively stable.
|Can sometimes produce a rattling sound. They can be difficult to remove once installed.
|These stabilizers are mounted directly to the PCB.
|Easy to install and remove, offer good stability.
|Can be more difficult to find and purchase.
|These stabilizers are screwed into the PCB.
|Offer the most stability and the least rattling sound.
|Installation can be time-consuming and difficult.
Mechanical keyboards often use stabilizers to ensure consistent and smooth key press and prevent the keys from wobbling or getting stuck. There are generally three types of stabilizers used in mechanical keyboards:
- Plate-mount stabilizers: These are the most common type of stabilizers used in mechanical keyboards. They are mounted on the keyboard plate and hold the keycap in place. Plate-mount stabilizers consist of two parts: a wire and a plastic housing that clips onto the wire. The wire runs through the keycap, and the plastic housing clips onto the plate, holding the keycap in place. Plate-mount stabilizers are easy to install and offer a good balance between cost, performance, and ease of maintenance.
- PCB-mount stabilizers: PCB-mount stabilizers are directly attached to the printed circuit board (PCB) of the keyboard. These stabilizers consist of three parts: a wire, a plastic housing, and a metal plate that clips onto the wire. PCB-mount stabilizers provide a cleaner look because they don’t require a plate for mounting, but they can be a bit more difficult to install than plate-mount stabilizers.
- Screw-in stabilizers: These are similar to plate-mount stabilizers but have an additional screw that secures them to the plate. Screw-in stabilizers offer greater stability and consistency compared to plate-mount stabilizers but are more difficult to install and require extra care during maintenance.
Each type of stabilizer has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice ultimately depends on personal preference and the keyboard’s design.
Factors to Consider While Choosing Stabilizers for Mechanical Keyboard
Choosing the right stabilizers for your mechanical keyboard is crucial to ensure smooth and stable key presses. Here are some factors to consider when choosing stabilizers:
- Keycap compatibility: Make sure the stabilizers you choose are compatible with the keycaps you plan to use. Different keycaps have different stem sizes, and not all stabilizers will work with every keycap.
- Size: Stabilizers come in different sizes, depending on the size of your keyboard. Make sure you choose the right size stabilizer for your keyboard.
- Type of stabilizer: There are three main types of stabilizers – plate-mounted and PCB-mounted. Plate-mounted stabilizers are attached to the keyboard plate, while PCB-mounted stabilizers are attached to the PCB and Screw-in stabilizers that similar to plate-mount stabilizers but have an additional screw. Make sure you choose the right type of stabilizer for your keyboard.
- Noise level: Some stabilizers can produce a rattling or ticking noise when pressed. If you want a quieter typing experience, look for stabilizers that have been designed to reduce noise.
- Brand reputation: Some brands are known for producing high-quality stabilizers that are reliable and durable. Do some research on the different brands available and choose one with a good reputation.
- Price: Stabilizers come in different price ranges, and the cost can vary depending on the brand, type, and size. Make sure you choose stabilizers that fit within your budget.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right stabilizers for your mecha
Differences Size in Keyboards Stabilizers
In a mechanical keyboard, the stabilizer used has a different size. Stabilizer is only used on buttons that have a larger size such as the Spacebar, Enter, Backspace, Right Shift, Left Shift, Capslock, and Tab keys. The following are some of the different stabilizer sizes:
- 7.0u Size: This size is usually used for the Spacebar button.
- 6.25u Size: This is the size also commonly used for the Spacebar button.
- 2.0u Size: This stabilizer size is usually used on the Enter, Right Shift, Left Shift, Backspace, Capslock, and Tab keys. However, this size cannot be used on 1.75u or lower buttons.
How To Improve The Stabilizers on Your Mechanical Keyboard
Here are a few steps you can take to improve the stabilizers on your mechanical keyboard:
- Lubricate the stabilizers: Adding a small amount of lubricant to the stabilizers can help reduce friction and make them feel smoother. Use a high-quality lubricant designed for keyboards and apply it sparingly to the stabilizer wire and contact points.
- Replace the stabilizer inserts: Sometimes the inserts that hold the stabilizer wire in place can become worn or loose. If this is the case, you may need to replace them with new ones. Replacement inserts can usually be purchased online.
- Tighten the stabilizer screws: The screws that hold the stabilizers in place can sometimes become loose over time, which can cause wobbling. Use a screwdriver to tighten the screws carefully, being sure not to overtighten them.
- Adjust the stabilizer wire position: Sometimes the stabilizer wire can become misaligned, which can cause it to rub against the keycap and create unwanted noise or movement. Try adjusting the position of the wire slightly to see if this helps.
- Replace the stabilizer bars: In some cases, the stabilizer bars themselves may be damaged or worn. If this is the case, you may need to replace them with new ones. Replacement stabilizer bars can usually be purchased online.
By taking these steps, you can improve the stability of your mechanical keyboard and enjoy a more satisfying typing experience.
Choosing the right PCB mount screw-in stabilizer can significantly enhance your mechanical keyboard experience. Whether you prioritize stability, aesthetics, or both, the stabilizers mentioned in this guide offer a range of options to suit your needs. Consider your keyboard layout, design preferences, and budget when making your selection, and you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a more satisfying typing experience on your custom mechanical keyboard.
Kizaru is a fan, collector, and has a huge addiction to mechanical keyboards. Kizaru has a collection of dozens of mechanical keyboards that come in different sizes and use different switches. He also frequently contributes to various forums that discuss keyboards such as Reddit and GeekHack.