Last Updated on November 20, 2023
Welcome to our in-depth review of the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit – a premium 60% keyboard kit designed for enthusiasts and professionals seeking the ultimate customization experience. In this comprehensive analysis, we’ll delve into the features, specifications, design, assembly process, and performance of the Vertex Arc60 to help you make an informed decision on this high-end mechanical keyboard kit.
Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit Overview
Premium Build and Inclusive Kit
The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit stands out with its premium aluminum construction, ensuring durability and a sophisticated aesthetic. The kit includes an extensive set of components: top case, bottom case, middle frame, daughterboard cover, weight, JST cable, daughterboard, hotswap PCB, soldered PCB, aluminum plate, plate mount foam gasket set, PCB mount foam gasket set, bottom feet set, silicone corner piece set, T5 screwdriver, and a variety of screws. This comprehensive package ensures that users have everything they need to create a customized mechanical keyboard tailored to their preferences.
Diverse Surface Treatments
The Vertex Arc60 is available in several surface treatments, including anodized, electrophoresis, and Matrix Coating. The double-anodized weight and anodized daughterboard cover contribute to the keyboard’s premium finish. Users can choose the surface treatment that aligns with their style preferences, adding a layer of personalization to their keyboard setup.
Versatile Mounting Options
The gasket mount system employed by the Vertex Arc60 enhances the typing experience, providing a smooth and satisfying feel. Users can choose between plate-mounted and plateless PCB-mounted options, offering flexibility in designing their ideal keyboard. The aluminum plate, available in different colors based on the chosen case, adds to the structural integrity and overall aesthetic appeal.
- Case: anodized, electrophoresis, or Matrix Coating
- Weight: double anodized
- Daughterboard cover: anodized
Keyboard Form Factor
- 302.15mm x 115.95mm x 31.30mm
- Gasket Mount (plate-mounted and plateless PCB-mounted options)
- 3.5mm Poron® Foam
- Max 19.40mm, Min 15.40mm (including the exposed part of the foot pad, 1.00mm)
- Anodized black aluminum plate (for e-white, arcane, and crow)
- Anodized grey aluminum plate (for gold, navy, aloe, and champagne)
Unboxing The Keyboard Kit
The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit offers a meticulous unboxing experience, presenting users with a range of components for building their custom 60% mechanical keyboard. The package includes:
- Top case
- Bottom case
- Middle frame
- DB cover
- JST cable
- Hotswap PCB
- Soldered PCB
- Aluminum plate
- Plate mount foam gasket set
- PCB mount foam gasket set
- Bottom feet set
- Silicone corner piece set
- T5 screwdriver
- Screws of various sizes
This comprehensive set ensures that users have all the necessary elements for a seamless assembly process.
Design and Build Quality
The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit boasts a premium design and exceptional build quality. Crafted from high-quality aluminum, the keyboard offers a sleek appearance and structural sturdiness. The variety of surface treatments, including anodized, electrophoresis, and Matrix Coating, allows users to choose a finish that suits their style preferences.
The gasket mount system, in combination with the plate foam made from 3.5mm Poron® Foam, provides a comfortable and satisfying typing experience. The 7-degree typing angle enhances ergonomics, while the front height variation adds versatility to the user’s typing posture.
No Switches and Keycaps Included
It’s important to note that the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is a customizable kit that does not include switches, keycaps, or other components typically found in pre-built keyboards. This design choice allows enthusiasts the freedom to choose and install their preferred switches and keycaps, adding another layer of personalization to the keyboard.
The Hot-Swappable PCB
One standout feature of the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is the inclusion of a hot-swappable PCB. This allows users to customize and replace switches without the need for soldering, providing a convenient option for those who enjoy experimenting with different switch types.
The Soldered PCB
In addition to the hotswap PCB, the kit includes a soldered PCB with a standard layout, offering a more traditional approach for users who prefer the stability of soldered connections. The presence of both options caters to a wide range of user preferences.
The stabilizers included in the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit are of high quality, featuring both plate-mounted and PCB-mounted options. This flexibility allows users to choose the stabilizer type that aligns with their preferences. Compatible with Cherry MX switches, these stabilizers are designed to minimize wobbling and rattling of keycaps, contributing to a stable and consistent typing experience.
Connectivity And Compatibility
The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit features a USB Type-C port for connectivity, ensuring compatibility with a variety of devices. The inclusion of a daughterboard simplifies the connection process, and the keyboard is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems, providing a versatile solution for users across different platforms.
A standout feature of the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is its programmability. With support for QMK firmware, users can fully customize the layout and functionality of the keyboard. This includes assigning different functions to each key, creating macros, and adding layers for additional functionality. The programmability of the keyboard enhances the user’s ability to tailor the keyboard to their specific needs and preferences.
Assembling The Kit
Assembling the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is a detailed process that requires attention to each component. Here’s a brief guide on how to assemble the kit:
- Unbox the kit and lay out all components on a flat surface.
- Attach the bottom feet set and silicone corner piece set to the bottom case.
- Attach the plate mount foam gasket set to the plate and place it into the middle frame.
- Attach switches to the plate, aligning them with the corresponding holes and pressing them in until they click into place.
- Insert stabilizers into the plate (if using them) and attach keycaps to the switches.
- Place the daughterboard into the daughterboard cover, secure it with screws, and connect the JST cable to the daughterboard and the PCB.
- Attach the PCB to the plate. For plate-mounted options, insert the PCB into the plate and secure it with screws. For plateless PCB-mounted options, attach the PCB to the middle frame using screws.
- Insert the PCB mount foam gasket set between the PCB and the middle frame.
- Place the weight into the bottom case and attach the bottom case to the middle frame using provided screws.
- Attach the top case to the middle frame using the provided screws.
Congratulations, your Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is now assembled and ready for use!
Performance And Typing Experience
The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit delivers a high-end 60% keyboard experience with its premium build materials and customizable features. The gasket mount and 3.5mm Poron® Foam plate foam contribute to a comfortable and satisfying typing experience, reducing noise and providing tactile feedback.
The inclusion of both hotswap and soldered PCB options allows users to choose their preferred typing experience. The 7-degree typing angle and versatile front height make the keyboard suitable for a wide range of users, ensuring ergonomic comfort during extended typing sessions.
The quality stabilizers minimize any wobbling or rattling of keycaps, contributing to a stable and consistent typing experience. The customizable nature of the keyboard allows users to tailor it to their preferences, from switch choices to keycap styles, enhancing the overall performance and satisfaction of using the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit.
It’s essential to note that the keyboard’s performance and typing experience will be influenced by the switches and keycaps chosen, as well as the user’s personal preferences.
Price and Variants
The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is priced at $275, positioning it in the high-end segment of the mechanical keyboard market. The kit offers a 60% form factor, premium aluminum construction, and a range of surface treatments. The price reflects the kit’s customization options, build quality, and the included components.
Pros and Cons
- High-quality build materials and finish: The use of premium aluminum and diverse surface treatments contribute to a durable and attractive keyboard.
- Versatile mounting options: The gasket mount system and plate options provide flexibility for users to customize the typing feel.
- Includes both hotswap and soldered PCB options: Users can choose between the convenience of hot-swappable switches or the stability of soldered connections.
- Comes with foam gasket sets: The inclusion of foam gasket sets for plate and PCB mounting helps reduce noise and vibration.
- Compact 60% form factor: Ideal for users seeking a minimalist and space-saving keyboard.
- Includes all necessary hardware and tools: The comprehensive package ensures users have everything needed for assembly.
- Relatively expensive: Priced at $275, the Vertex Arc60 kit falls into the higher price range, potentially limiting accessibility for budget-conscious users.
- No RGB lighting: Lack of RGB lighting may be a drawback for users seeking a more visually dynamic keyboard.
- No wrist rest included: The absence of a wrist rest may be a disadvantage for users who prefer additional wrist support.
- Limited color options for plates: The available color options for aluminum plates may restrict customization possibilities.
- Limited availability due to being a kit: Some users may prefer a pre-assembled solution, and the kit’s limited availability may pose challenges for procurement.
Should You Buy The Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit?
The decision to purchase the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit depends on your specific preferences, requirements, and budget considerations. Here are key factors to consider:
Consider Buying If:
- You Seek Premium Customization: If you are an enthusiast looking for a highly customizable keyboard with premium build materials, the Vertex Arc60 offers extensive customization options, allowing you to tailor the keyboard to your liking.
- You Appreciate Versatility: The inclusion of both hotswap and soldered PCB options, along with versatile mounting choices, provides flexibility to cater to various user preferences.
- You Prioritize Build Quality: The premium aluminum construction and attention to detail in design and assembly contribute to the keyboard’s overall build quality, delivering a satisfying typing experience.
- Programmability is Essential: The support for QMK firmware allows for extensive programmability, enabling you to create a keyboard layout and functionality that aligns with your specific needs.
Consider Holding Off If:
- Budget is a Primary Concern: Priced at $275, the Vertex Arc60 is in the higher price range for mechanical keyboard kits. If budget constraints are a significant consideration, alternative options may be more suitable.
- RGB Lighting is a Priority: If RGB lighting is a crucial feature for your ideal keyboard setup, the Vertex Arc60’s lack of RGB lighting may be a drawback.
- Pre-Assembled Solutions are Preferred: If you prefer a plug-and-play solution without the need for assembly, the Vertex Arc60’s kit format may not align with your preferences.
- Wrist Rest is Essential: For users who prioritize ergonomic considerations and prefer keyboards with integrated wrist rests, the absence of a wrist rest in the Vertex Arc60 kit may be a drawback.
In conclusion, the Vertex Arc60 Mechanical Keyboard Kit is a premium option for enthusiasts seeking a high-quality, customizable mechanical keyboard kit. Its extensive features, premium build, and customization options make it an appealing choice for those willing to invest in a personalized and sophisticated keyboard setup. However, potential buyers should weigh the price against their budget and carefully consider their specific preferences before making a purchase.
Kizaru is a fan, collector, and has a huge addiction to mechanical keyboards. Kizaru has a collection of dozens of mechanical keyboards that come in different sizes and use different switches. He also frequently contributes to various forums that discuss keyboards such as Reddit and GeekHack.