How to Overcome Valorant FPS Drops and Lag? Spikes often occur when playing Valorant? Here’s an easy way to fix the problem so that the game runs smoothly!
FPS drops and lag spikes often occur when playing Valorant? Here’s an easy way to fix the problem so that the game runs smoothly! Lag spikes and FPS drops are two problems that often appear in online games, and of course the FPS gaming experience, be it Valorant, CSGO, or Overwatch.
FPS (Frames per second) is an important parameter that helps players detect enemies, and increases the chances of hitting a target or a headshot. FPS drops can cause the game to feel “lag”. (Even though the lag is actually caused by something else).
For the most effective way, you should first understand whether the game is caused by lag or FPS drops. After that, follow the steps and how to overcome the following Valorant lag or fps drops:
What Makes Valorant FPS Drops and Lag?
Lags in games are generally not caused by PC problems, but due to unstable internet. For example, the problem of the game server. Maybe your location is too far from the server, for example you play Valorant in Singapore but play using a North American server. This often results in high latency (or PING), resulting in lag.
On the other hand, FPS drops are usually caused by a computer or PC problem. For example, PC specs are too low so they can’t run games smoothly. VGA quality is very influential on the FPS you can get to play Valorant games.
How to Overcome Valorant FPS Drops and Lag and How to Boost FPS on Valorant
Here are some ways to deal with Valorant Lag Spikes or FPS drops. Depending on your problem, follow one of the following steps and then try playing Valorant again:
1. Know Minimum PC/Laptop Specs To Play Valorant
Valorant is one of the FPS games that don’t require high specs. The higher the spec, the higher the FPS too. In general, the recommended specs for Valorant are as follows:
- CPU: Core i5-4460
- RAM: 4GB
- OS: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
- Video Card: GTX 1050 Ti
- Pixel Shaders: 5.1
- Vertex Shader: 5.1
- Video RAM: 4096 MB
For the minimum and best Valorant specs according to a more complete FPS, check the Valorant game specification article right away.
2. Restart The Game
Sometimes, the solution is quite simple, namely by restarting the game and the system to improve Valorant’s performance. Restarting the game can give the hardware a little rest and refresh the system. The temperature and RAM memory used is very influential, the higher the temperature or the number of resources used can cause lag in the Valorant game.
3. Disable Valorant Full Screen Optimization
Taken from reddit user u/oncoreevents, this step could help some players overcome the low FPS in the game Valorant.
- Locate the file D: program files/riot/valorant/live/valorant.exe
- Right click valorant.exe > then click properties.
- Click the compatibility tab > then tick “disable fullscreen optimizations”
- Open the Valorant application, double-click F11 to return the game to fullscreen mode.
5. Change Valorant FPS Video Settings
Here are the steps to overcome Valorant lag and FPS boost:
- On the Valorant main page, click Settings
- Click the Video Tab
- Change the “Max FPS Always” section to “165” or “200”
- Click the Close button, then try.
6. Check Riot server status
Sometimes the lag spikes and Fps drops in Valorant are caused by Riot’s own servers. To be sure, you can check on the Valorant status web server on Riot’s own website.
Riot Games also regularly updates Valorant news, regarding issues experienced by players and others on their Twitter.
7. Activate all CPU Cores
Reportedly, some players experienced Valorant FPS drops caused by the use of the core processor. Reddit user mackfan noticed that Valorant only uses one of the four existing processor cores. After activating all the core processors in the Valorant game, the fps drops disappeared.
To resolve valorant fps frame drops, follow these steps:
- Open the Valorant application, then minimize the game (click Alt + Esc keys together).
- Right click Windows Task bar > click Task Manager option
- Click “More Details” > then click the “Processes” tab
- Right-click Valorant > then click “Got to details”
- Right-click “VALORANT-WIN64-Shipping.exe.” > Select “Set Affinity”
- After that, a pop-up will appear indicating which CPU is active/used in Valorant. If everything is checked, then the lag / fps drops problem is not caused by this. (follow other steps). If only a few are checked > check the “” box, then click OK.
- Repeat steps #5 and #6 on the “Valorant.exe” file
8. Set “High Priority” for Valorant
Didn’t work either? Try setting the Valorant setting to “high priority” in the task manager. Here are the steps:
- Click CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open Task Manager
- Click the “Details” tab > then right-click the Valorant game file
- Click “set priority” > “High”
- Don’t forget to close all unused applications to ensure the best performance in the Valorant game.
Well, here are some ways you can try to overcome Valorant’s lag spikes or fps drops. In addition, you can try using an ethernet cable to prevent lag in the middle of the game.
I hope one of these steps helps you!
Lag and FPS Drop can occur due to various kinds of things, whether it is due to an Internet connection problem that is too far from the Valorant server or your PC is too exhausted. To play the Valorant game, make sure you use a PC that meets the Minimum specification requirements in order to play Valorant games smoothly.
When you play the game Valorant, make sure you are using a stable Internet with Ping to Server under 80ms and make sure you are connected to the closest server location from where you are currently playing.