In the past, to watch favorite videos, users usually could only watch them through shows on tv, watch movies in theaters, or watch movies through a cd/dvd player. Where to do all that the user has to set aside a certain amount of money to watch his favorite videos.
Along with the development of the world of technology and the internet, now users can watch their favorite videos through their smartphone devices. Either by accessing a video streaming site or by downloading a video streaming provider application. An example of a site that has the most popular streaming video service in the world is YouTube.
In addition, users can also upload their own videos on the video streaming site service by creating an account first and then the user just has to prepare quality videos so that the uploaded videos can be popular and watched by many people.
To display quality video shows, video editors usually make various efforts in the editing process. Such as removing unnecessary scenes, setting the image quality to HD, adding animation effects, adding sound effects, and including adding video subtitles.
Especially for adding subtitles to videos, this is usually done in the video editing process that comes from abroad with a foreign language. So that by adding subtitles to the video, the audience is expected to understand the storyline and all conversation scripts between the players in the film they are watching.
In addition to being usually done by professionals, it turns out that we can also make subtitles on the videos that we have, both using PC devices and via Android phones. Before explaining how, this time we will discuss what video subtitles are.
Then what are video subtitles?
Subtitle Video is a delivery of dialogue in the form of text that is at the bottom of the screen on a movie or television program that is currently playing. Usually the subtitles are made as translation texts from foreign language films or videos, or it can also be a dialogue presentation in the same language with a little additional information to help the audience who is deaf (deaf / hard of hearing).
- Hardsub. This type of subtitle is part of an open subtitle, which is a subtitle that can be seen by everyone and cannot be removed from the video. This type of subtitle is usually made by fansubbers because the subtitles cannot be edited and deleted so that the subtitles will appear permanently in the video. Hardsub format is usually Mkv
- Softsub. This type of subtitle is part of the closed subtitle. This means that subtitles can be enabled or disabled. This type of subtitle is separate from the video frame
- Preferred Subtitles. This type of subtitle is a layer that is above the original video and is separate from the original video frame. The process of making this type of subtitle is quite complicated and is usually installed on a DVD or BluRay which provides a wide selection of languages
After we know what Subtitle Video is and its types. This time, we will discuss how to make video subtitles on Android phones and laptops, either using built-in features such as notepad or using additional applications. As for how we will explain as below.
6 Ways to Make Video Subtitles on Laptops and Android Phones
1. Making Video Subtitles in Notepad
The first way we will explain to make video subtitles is to use the built-in feature on a laptop or PC called notepad. Notepad itself is a word processing tool that is available on the Windows operating system and is installed by default in the accessories program.
Making video subtitles using Notepad will later be divided into 4 parts (lines), namely the serial number of the subtitles, the time the subtitle appears and ends, the subtitle text, and a blank line as a separator between the subtitles. As for how to make video subtitles using the notepad application, we will explain as below.
How to Make Video Subtitles Using Notepad
- First of all, open the video that we want to give subtitles using the video player application on the laptop. Like Winamp, Windows Media Player, Gom Player, Total Video Player or others
- Next, open the Notepad application on our laptop through the search field and type notepad
- After the Notepad application opens then we type the number 1 (first line) as the serial number of the first subtitle
- Then switch to the video that is currently playing. Then we pay attention to the dialogue on the video and the time, to display the appropriate subtitle later
- Then in Notepad (second line) we write down the time the video subtitle appears and the time the subtitle disappears with the format (hour:minute:second, microsecond). Example : 00:00:02,000 -> 00:00:06,021
- Next in Notepad (third line) we type the text (Subtitle) on the video we want to make
- Then in Notepad (Fourth Line) we leave Empty (Enter) as a separator between the subtitles on the video that we make
- Next in Notepad (Fiveth line and so on) Repeat the four steps above so that we can make video subtitles until the video is finished. For example like the picture below
- Next, save Notepad by clicking the File menu -> Save As. Then in our File Name column, fill it freely with the suffix (file extension) .srt. Example: Digiva.srt. In the Encoding section we select UTF-8 if the subtitles we make are in a language other than English
- Then we click the Save button
- After that, move the Digiva.srt Subtitle File and Video File in one Folder
- Finished. Now when we open a video in that folder, the subtitle text that we created will automatically appear on the video
2. Using the Aegisub App
The second way that we will explain to make subtitles on videos on a laptop is to use an application called Aegisub. Aegisub itself is software that is used to create and edit subtitles on our videos for free and is open source cross-platform.
The Aegisub application was developed by Niels Martin Hansen and Rodrigo Braz Monteiro. The Aegisub application was released in a stable version on December 7, 2014 which is available in various languages of the world such as English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Indonesian etc. The Aegisub application is designed for timing, translation, and making karaoke subtitles on videos that you have. As for how to make video subtitles using the Aegisub application, we will explain as below.
How to Make Subtitles Using Aegisub
- First of all, prepare the subtitles that you want to add to the video. Both in the form of translated text on the Google translation site or in the form of song lyrics on the lyrics provider website
- Then Download the Aegisub Software on our laptop via the following link https://aegisub.id.uptodown.com/windows/download
- Done downloading. Then we install the Aegisub application on our laptop
- Once installed then Open the Aegisub Application
- After Aegisub opens. Then we click the Video menu and select the Open Video option
- Next, browse to the location of the desired video folder. After meeting, then Double-click or Open the video until the video enters the application worksheet
- After Video appears on the left of the screen. Then we copy the subtitles that have been prepared (from the internet) in the white column in the middle right of the screen
- Then we set the time span between appearing and ending the subtitle text in the range timer column above it. Example: (0.22.15.00 , 0.22.23.00). So that when the subtitles appear according to the moment in the video, then we can first play the video on the left of the application screen
- After inputting the time and subtitle text, then we click the green check button above the right of the subtitle column
- Then automatically a new column appears at the bottom of the screen containing the text (subtitle) along with the time of the subtitle that has been made
- To add subtitle text on the next line then we. We Right-Click on the subtitle text at the bottom of the screen and select Insert (After) Option. Then Write Subtitle and set the time
- Then Repeat all the steps above to create the next subtitle text until all the subtitles appear and fit on the video that was created
- After all the subtitle text has been successfully entered and feels it fits the video, we can save it by clicking the File menu -> Save As. In the File Name section we fill in the name and in the Save As Type we select the Advanced Substation Alpha (*ass) option
- Then we click the Save button
- The process of importing subtitles to videos runs to completion
- After Process Completed. Then Open the Aegisub Video folder on our laptop and open the Subtitle Video that has been created
- Finished. When the video is playing, the subtitle text that we have created will automatically appear below the video screen
3. Using Adobe Premiere Software
The third way that we will explain to make video subtitles on a laptop is to use a software called Adobe Premiere. Adobe Premiere itself is a non-linear-based video editing program developed by Adobe Systems. As for how to make subtitles using the Adobe Premiere application, we will explain as below.
How to Make Video Subtitles Using Adobe Premiere Software
- First of all, Download Adobe Premiere Software via the following link https://adobe-premiere.id.softonic.com/download
- After downloading, install the Adobe Premiere software on our laptop
- Once installed Open the Adobe Premiere Software
- Once open, then enter the video into the worksheet by clicking the File -> Import -> Double Click the Video File that we want to make subtitles for. Until the video appears in the Video Timeline (blue color)
- Next we enter the subtitle item by clicking the File menu -> New -> Captions. After that, the New Caption window appears, then in the Standard column we select the Open Caption option.
- Next we click the OK button and a new item (purple) appears in the project box which indicates the subtitle item has appeared
- Then we Drag the Subtitle item into the video timeline. Put the subtitle item one track above the video not below it. So that the subtitle text can later appear on the video
- Next, we double-click the subtitle item (purple caption) until a new window appears (Caption). Then we write the subtitle that we want to make in the Type Caption Text Here column. In this window (caption) we can also set the size, position and color of the subtitle text that we want to put on the video
- After we finish creating one line of subtitles, then to make the next line of subtitles (text) we click the + (Plus) button in the Lower Right Corner of the Caption Window (Subtitle)
- Later, each subtitle that has been created, the item will appear in the form of a black subtitle box above the video item (blue) on the timeline sheet.
- Next we set the duration of the appearance of each subtitle on the video by Shifting the Starting Point and End Point in each subtitle box
- After all the subtitles have been made on the video, then we export the video so that it can be saved on our laptop
How to Export Video is Click File Menu -> Export -> Media
- Then the Export Settings window appears. On our Format Menu Click the H.264 option. Then Click the Outputname button to change the name of our video
- After all the settings have been adjusted. Then we click the Export button
- The Export Video process runs to completion (100%)
- After the export process is complete, the Adobe Premiere download folder appears automatically
- Then we look for the name of the video that we just made the subtitle
- Finished. After the video is played, the subtitles will automatically appear
The fourth way that we will explain to make video subtitles on a laptop is to use a software called Wondershare Filmora. Filmora itself is an application developed by Wondershare and designed to perform the video editing process in an easy way but the quality of the resulting video remains powerful. As for how to make video subtitles using the Filmora application, we will explain as below.
How to Make Video Subtitles Using Filmora Software
- First of all, Download Filmora Software via the following link https://wondershare-video-editor.id.uptodown.com/windows/download
- Done downloading. Then Install Filmora Software on our laptop
- Finished installing then Open Filmora Software
- After Filmora opens, 4 menu options appear, namely Easy Mode, Full Feature Mode, Instant Cutter, and Action Cam Tools. Then we select the Full Feature Mode option
- After that comes the Filmora Worksheet. Then we click the Import menu at the top of the screen and select the Import Media File option
- Then find and click the video you want to make subtitles
- Once the video thumbnail appears on the top of the screen. Then we Drag to the Project Timeline Column at the bottom of the screen
- Next, to make video subtitles, we have to click the Text / Credit menu -> Subtitle -> Select the Subtitle Style that is displayed in the middle of the screen -> and click the Green + (plus) button to apply it
- After that the subtitle item (purple) also appears in the project timeline box
- Then Double-click the Subtitle item (purple) until a new window appears to change the text, color, size and position of the subtitle that we want to make
- To set the duration of the appearance of subtitles (text) on the video, we just have to slide the subtitle box which is adjusted to the distance of the video line below it.
- Do the same way to add other subtitles until the video ends
- After the editing process and adding subtitles is complete, we just have to save the video. The trick is to click the Export menu -> Export to device
- Then the Export Settings window appears. On the Output Menu, several icon options appear, such as storage card, cellphone, youtube, vimeo and CD icons. Then we select the Storage Card icon (top). And on our Format Menu Select the MP4 Option
- In this Export Settings window, we can also change the name of the video that we have made subtitles for along with the resolution of the video.
- After all the export settings are done. Then we click the Export button
- The process of Export Video from the Filmora software runs to completion
- Finished. After the export process is complete, the words “Step: Mission Complete!” will automatically appear. which is accompanied by a check icon on the left
- Then we click the Find Target button in the lower right corner of the screen
- Next we will be directed to the video folder that has been subtitled. And when the finished video is opened it will automatically appear the subtitle (text) that we made earlier
5. Make Video Subtitles on Android Phone
The fifth way that we will explain is how to make video subtitles on Android phones. To make subtitles on Android phones, we will have to download the application first on the Google Playstore. And one application that is popular and can be used for free to make video subtitles is an application called VideoShow. As for how to make video subtitles on an Android phone, we will explain as below.
How to Make Video Subtitles on Android Phone
- First of all, download and install the VideoShow application on our Android phones via the following link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xvideostudio.videoeditor
- Finished installing then Open the VideoShow Application
- After the application is open. Then we click the Video Edit menu. Then select the video that we want to add subtitles to which is in the phone’s storage memory and click the arrow at the top right of the screen
- After the video has been successfully uploaded, then we click the Edit Pro menu and select the subtitle option
- Then we Click the + (Plus) button at the bottom of the screen
- Then the subtitle dialog box appears and we type the text (subtitle) in the box. Then click the OK button
- Next we can set when the text (subtitles) appears on the video by Shifting the White Line to the right or left on the video storyboard bar.
- Do the same way to add the next few subtitles to the video
- If all the settings and adding subtitles (text) for the video are sufficient, then we click the Check button in the upper right corner of the screen
- Next, to save the finished video, we click the arrow button (orange) in the upper right corner of the screen. Then select the Save to Gallery option
- Then 2 options appear Fast Mode and HD Mode. We choose Fast Mode if you want a fast storage process and choose HD Mode if you want clear video quality
- The Export Video process runs to completion
- Finished. Now the video that we make has subtitles when it is played
6. Making Video Subtitles on Youtube
The last way that we will explain is how to add video subtitles on YouTube. This method is specifically for users who already have a YouTube account. So that by adding subtitles (text) to the videos that we have uploaded on YouTube, our YouTube account viewers and subscribers understand the content of the videos that are displayed and not boring. As for how to make video subtitles on YouTube, we will explain as below.
How to Make Video Subtitles on Youtube
- First of all, open our Youtube Studio Account via the following link https://studio.youtube.com
- After the Youtube Studio site opens then we are required to login to our Youtube account
- After successful login. Then click the three vertical lines in the upper left corner of the screen and select the subtitle menu
- Once on the Subtitle Channel Page. Then click on our video that you want to make subtitles for
- Next we are on the Video Subtitle page. Then we Click on Set Language button and Select English Option. And Click the Confirm button
- Still on the video subtitle page. Then we click the pencil icon (details) at the top left of the screen
- Once on the Video Details page. Then we click the Subtitle button in the middle right of the screen
- Then the Subtitle window appears. Here we are given 3 three options to add subtitles to the video. Namely File Upload, Auto Sync or Manual Type. Then we select the Manual Type Option
- Next we type the text (Subtitle) in the column provided. We can also set the duration of the text (subtitles) appearing on the video by entering the number in units (minutes or seconds) which is to the right of the subtitle column.
- If we want to add some subtitles then we can click the + Subtitle button at the top left of the screen
- After all the subtitles have been set and added to the video. Then we click the Done button in the top right corner of the screen. And Click the Save Button
- Now finished, the video on our Youtube account also has subtitles when played by other people
Thus our explanation of what Subtitle Video is and its types. In addition, it also explains several ways to make video subtitles on laptops and Android phones. Such as making video subtitles using Notepad software, Aegisub, Adobe Premiere, Wondershare Filmora, Video Show, and How to Make Video Subtitles on YouTube.
By reading the explanation above, of course, now we know what video subtitles are and their functions. In addition, by reading the explanation above, now we are no longer confused if we want to make video subtitles on laptops, cellphones and YouTube. Simply by applying some of the methods above, then our videos will be cooler because there are subtitles and have a lot of opportunities to be watched by our subscribers or followers.