Back in the 2000s and back, the mobile phones used by users still had the Java operating system (example: nokia) and the mobile screen was still small. Examples include size (176 x 220), (240 x 320), (320×240) and other screen sizes. Where to perform commands still use the phone button at the bottom of the screen.
However, along with the creation of Android devices by Google in 2008, the screen size of the cellphone underwent a drastic change so that it was able to satisfy users. In addition, Android smartphones have also been equipped with touchscreen features following the revolutionary steps of the iPhone in 2007.
When we first buy a new smartphone in a cell phone shop. The condition of the smartphone that we just bought is of course still good and running well because all the components that are embedded in the new cellphone are released by the manufacturer.
But as time goes by, our cellphones begin to experience problems that are marked by the malfunction of some cellphone components such as cellphone batteries that run out quickly, systems that often experience lag or it could be cellphone screens that experience errors.
When it’s like that, of course, it makes us uncomfortable when using smartphones, because smartphones are a primary (main) need today. Especially if what is damaged is the touchscreen component, so we can’t see the screen and run commands on the cellphone screen.
Touchscreens that have damage can be caused by several reasons, either due to long-term use or due to some external effects such as being exposed to rain, bumping or falling. Before we explain how to solve it this time we will explain what a touchscreen is.
What is a touchscreen?
Touchscreen is an input device on smartphones and computers that work by touching the screen using the user’s finger or a digital pen that can replace the function of buttons and mice on smartphones and computers.
Touchscreen features today are also installed in several mass-produced consumer technologies such as laptops, music players (iPod), iPhone, Blackberry Storm, Thermostat and other devices.
- Sensor Panel. This component is located on the outer layer of the screen in the form of a sensor that flows a certain electric current and is sensitive when touched by the user’s finger
- Controllers. This component functions to process the signal received by the sensor panel, then translates it into touch data which is channeled into the computer processor.
- Software Drivers. This component functions to translate the data stored by the processor into like a cursor movement (mouse) and provides an interface to the computer operating system (windows) and smartphone (android).
After we know what a touchscreen is and the components in it. At this time we will discuss the characteristics of a damaged smartphone touchscreen and its causes, which we will explain as below:
Characteristics of Touchscreen Broken & Error
- Deadtouch. This means that the phone screen is off and cannot be used even though the battery is still full and the smartphone engine is still alive
- Deadspots. This means that at some point or part of the smartphone screen it does not respond when we touch it with a finger and the command fails to run
- Delayed Response. This means that when we touch the smartphone screen with our fingers, the response produced by the smartphone is late which of course makes the user uncomfortable, especially when playing games
- Ghost Touch. This means that the Smartphone screen suddenly moves on its own even though we don’t touch it and without the slightest command
Causes of Broken Touchscreen & Error
- Phone Exposed to Water. This usually happens when the user gets rained on the road, forgets to keep the phone in his pocket while washing in the washing machine or accidentally spills a drink while the phone is on the table. Furthermore, the sensor panel on the touchscreen was damaged because the electricity flow was shorted due to exposure to water
- Phone Dropped. This often happens when the user lacks concentration while holding the Android and the previous Android body was not given protection such as Hardcase (Case) & Tempered Glass (TG). So that when it falls it directly hits the Touchscreen (TC) component to experience a crack and the sensor panel sensitivity decreases even until the Android screen turns off
- Incorrect Charger. When we buy a new charger that doesn’t match the brand of our Android, the voltage generated is also different which makes the phone heat up quickly and the sensor panel on the smartphone is damaged.
- Damaged Android Phone Battery. If the battery is damaged then other components of the phone are also affected. Including the sensor panel on the touchscreen that requires electricity. So that our Android touchscreen doesn’t run optimally
- Overuse. When we press the phone screen too strongly and it happens continuously, over time the components on the touchscreen are damaged
- Virus. In addition to the sensor panel, the touch screen phone also has a software driver that functions to translate touchscreen touch data. When our Android smartphone has too many viruses and attacks the touchscreen software, our touchscreen often gets errors
After we know the characteristics of a damaged smartphone touchscreen and its causes. At this time we will discuss how to solve touchscreen errors and damage, either using the default settings or using additional applications. The method is as below:
11 Ways to Overcome Android Touchscreen Error and Not Working
1. Restart Smartphone
The first way that we will explain to fix an Android touchscreen that is error and not working is by restarting the Android that we have. This needs to be done if the cause of our touchscreen error is because the smartphone lags (hangs) because of the many applications that are running and there are also applications that crash.
So that after our smartphone is restarted, all running applications and settings will be refreshed back to the beginning and the smartphone’s touchscreen will work properly again. How to restart itself is easy, just press the power button then select the restart option and after the Android is back on, the touchscreen can work again.
2. Check RAM Capacity
The second way that we will explain to solve our smartphone touchscreen error and not working is to check the RAM capacity. This is because if the capacity of our RAM storage space is full, the smartphone will experience lag (hang).
When it hangs, the smartphone screen will not respond when we touch it and the touchscreen is an error. As for how to check the use and capacity of RAM is very easy, which we will explain as below.
How to Check the Capacity and RAM Usage of Android Phones
- First of all, we open the Settings / Settings menu on our Android phones
- Then we select the Device menu and select the Apps option
- After being on our Apps page, swipe left to display the SD Card page
- After being on the SD Card page then we swipe left to display the Running tab
- Finished. On the Running page we can see a list of applications that are running on our Android along with the remaining free RAM space
After we see that it is true that the RAM capacity is full, so to reduce the workload of RAM, we can uninstall (delete) applications that are not important so that the Smartphone will not hang again and the touchscreen will function normally.
3. Enter Safe Mode
The third way that we will explain to solve the touchscreen cannot be touched and errors is to enter safe mode on our Android. Safe mode itself is one of the modes provided by the operating system (Windows & Android) and can be used to solve system problems that cannot be done when opening it normally.
Because when in safe mode only the default application can run on the smartphone. As for how to enter safe mode on an Android smartphone, we will explain as below.
How to Enter Safe Mode on an Android Phone
- First of all we press and hold our Android Smartphone’s Power Button
- After that comes several options such as Power Off, Restart and Airplane Mode
- Then we press and hold Power Off until a popup appears Reboot to Safe Mode
- Then we click the OK button until we successfully enter Safemode
- Finished. After successfully entering safemode then we check whether our touchscreen is working properly or not
4. Force GPU 2D Rendering
The fourth way that we will explain to solve the touchscreen error and cannot be touched is to force GPU Rendering. Force GPU Rendering itself is a Graphics Processing Unit that is programmed to deal with graphic information problems on our smartphone screens.
This way the system will render better UI animations because the system will force the app to render 2D hardware. So that the smartphone does not hang and the touchscreen works again.
However, the weakness of this method is that our Android batteries run out quickly and when we play games with 3D graphics, the image display becomes worse. As for how to GPU 2D Rendering, we will explain as below.
How to Enable Force GPU 2D Rendering
- First of all, we click the Settings / Settings menu
- Next Scroll down and we select the Developer Options Menu (Developer Options)
- Next we scroll down and select the Hardware Accelerated Rendering menu (Hardware Accelerated Rendering)
- Then we activate the Force GPU Rendering button below it
- Finished. Now GPU 2D Rendering is successfully activated on our smartphone and the smartphone CPU is light again and the touchscreen no longer lags & errors
5. Smartphone Screen Calibration
The fifth way that we will explain to overcome the smartphone touchscreen that moves itself and errors is to calibrate the smartphone screen. Touchscreen calibration itself is a process and effort made to recondition the smartphone function as it was when it was first purchased. So that our smartphone screen is sensitive and works well.
To perform the smartphone screen calibration process, we must download and install additional applications so that the calibration process can run properly and simply. One application that users can download and use for free on the Playstore is an application called Touchscreen Calibration. As for how to use it, we will explain as below.
How to Calibrate Smartphone Screen Using Touchscreen Calibration Application
- First of all, we download and install the Touchscreen Calibration application via the following link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=redpi.apps.touchscreencalibration
- Once installed. Then we open the Touchscreen Calibration application
- After the application is open. Then we click the blue Calibrate button
- Next we are required to follow some of the commands provided on the screen to test the functioning of our Android’s touchscreen such as: TAP (2 times click the Green Button), 2 TAP (Press and Hold the Button for 2 Seconds), LONG & SWIPE (Touch the screen with 2 fingers simultaneously)
- After we run all the commands successfully, the text appears on the Calibration Successful screen
Next we restart our Android phone
- Finished. Now our Android touchscreen is back to normal and works fine after successfully calibrating
The Touchscreen Calibration application has a rating value of 4.4 on Google Playstore services. To use this application, users are required to have an Android smartphone version 4.0 and above. The Touchscreen Calibration application has a file size of 1.5 MB and has been downloaded by more than one million users on the Playstore.
6. Use the Original Phone Charger
The sixth way that we will explain to overcome the error and less sensitive Android touchscreen is to use the original Android charger (casan). This is because many users use fake Android chargers when the original charger has been damaged.
In fact, if we use a Android charger with origin, it has the potential to damage the Android battery because the voltage generated is not appropriate. If that’s the case, the phone will heat up quickly which causes some components on the Android to be damaged including the screen sensor panel so that the touchscreen becomes an error.
For that, if the default Android charger is damaged, we better buy the original at the official Android store. Although the price of the original Android charger is more expensive, the power produced is according to the dose and our Android cellphone becomes more durable.
7. Use the MultiTouch Tester App
The seventh way that we will explain to overcome the less sensitive and error touchscreen mobile phone is to use an application called Multitouch Tester. This is done if the cause of our smartphone screen error and lag (hang) is due to multi-touch problems on the touchscreen.
Later with this application we can test the maximum number of touches when we touch our mobile screen simultaneously (multi touch). To use this application we can first download it on Google Playstore for free. As for how to use the application, we will explain as below.
How to Overcome Android Hp Touchscreen Error Using the Multitouch Tester Application
- First of all, we download and install the Multitouch Tester Application via the following link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.the511plus.MultiTouchTester
- Done Install. Then we open the Multitouch Tester Application
- After the application is open, a large 0 will appear with a black background on the application screen
- Then we stick all our fingers to the point of the android screen which usually often experiences errors at the same time. For example, sticking 5 fingers
- After the finger is touched to the android’s screen, several points that are touched will display a circle with a different color (eg red, green, blue, purple, ping, etc.) which indicates that all the touch points of the android screen are still functioning properly.
- However, if there is one point that does not have a color, it can be confirmed that the touchscreen point has an error that we can mark and follow up.
- Finished. Now we also know about the performance of the touchscreen function on smartphones through the application
The Multitouch Tester application has a rating value of 4.6 on Google Playstore services. To use this application, users are required to have an Android smartphone version 2.2 and above. The Multitouch Tester application has a file size of 139 KB and has been downloaded by more than 1 million users.
8. Smartphone Display Diagnostic
The eighth way that we will explain to solve the smartphone screen error and cannot be touched is by diagnosing the smartphone display. To use this method we can use an additional application called Display Tester. This application was developed by an android developer named Braintrapp.
By using this application users can test the function of the screen and find out whether our smartphone screen is experiencing interference or not. The features of this application include Dead Pixel Test, Color Test, Gamma Calibration Test, Multi-touch Test, Display Performance Test, etc. So that later we can find out what the problem is on our smartphone screen.
The Display Tester application has a rating value of 4.1 on Google Playstore services. To use this application, users are required to have an Android smartphone version 4.1 and above. The Display Tester application has a file size of 10 MB and has been downloaded by more than 1 million users. As for those who want to download it, you can click on the following link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.displaytester.
9. Remove Phone Screen Protector
Usually to protect the android screen, the user installs an additional protector in the form of tempered glass so that if the screen experiences a direct impact it does not damage the touchscreen. This is because the price of Touchscreen (TC) is more expensive ($25) compared to Tempered Glass (TG) which has a price of only tens of thousands.
But if it turns out that our touchscreen has experienced an error, then we should remove the additional screen protector (Tempered Glass) that is installed. Although it can’t fix it completely, it is able to increase the level of sensitivity and touchscreen response on smartphone screens that have problems when we touch them.
10. Dry Your Android Phone
The tenth way that we will explain to overcome an error and damaged Android cellphone touchscreen is to dry our android. This method is specifically done if the cause of our touchscreen is damaged because it was splashed with water. Whether it’s because it was exposed to rain, accidentally washed in the washing machine, splashed with drinks on the desk bag and other factors.
The way to dry a cellphone that is exposed to water itself is quite easy, either using a regular cloth or using a water-absorbing meter. As for how we will explain as below.
How to dry a water-affected phone screen
- First of all we turn off our android phone
- Then wipe the outside of the phone with a dry towel or micro fiber cloth
- Next Open the Phone Case and Remove the Phone Battery
- Then put and immerse the phone into a container that has previously been filled with drying material such as rice or silica gel.
- After that let stand for 2 x 24 hours until the phone is completely dry
- Finished. After the phone is completely dry. Then we check whether the touchscreen function on the phone is working properly or not
11. Buy a New HP LCD
If all the ways above still can’t solve the touchscreen problem on our android. So the last step we can take is to replace the LCD of our Android smartphone with a new LCD.
If we want to buy a new LCD then we should first research the price of one LCD package as an illustration before heading to the android shop. This is because the price of an Android phone LCD package usually has a price range of $25 to $80 depending on our type of Android.
In addition, if we want to get a good quality LCD, we can buy it at the official mobile phone outlet (example: Samsung center). Because in addition to getting original spare parts, we will also get a warranty even though the price tends to be more expensive.
However, it feels better than if we buy a cloned LCD version with dubious quality. Even though it has a cheaper price, non-original android’s LCDs have the potential to experience incompatibility with our android which makes the touchscreen performance of the Android not optimal.
Thus our explanation of what a touchscreen is and the components in it. In addition, we have also explained the characteristics of touchscreen errors, the causes of touchscreen errors and several ways to overcome them. Such as by restarting the Smartphone, Checking RAM Capacity, Entering Safe Mode, Force GPU 2D Rendering, Calibrate Smartphone Screen, Use Original Charger, Use Multitouch Tester Application, Diagnose Display, Remove Screen Protector, Dry Phone and Replace New LCD.
By reading the explanation above, of course, we now know what a touchscreen is and its functions on our android. In addition, by reading the explanation above, we can now try to repair our android’s touchscreen before taking it to a repairman so that we can save on repair costs.